The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati and its affiliate, Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC, are dedicated to reducing poverty and ensuring family stability through effective legal assistance. Both Legal Aid organizations serve low-income residents of seven southwest Ohio counties (Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, Highland, Warren). Staffed offices are located in downtown Cincinnati and in Hamilton (Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC only); we have a total staff of about 85, including 37 attorneys and 14 paralegals. The Legal Aid Society is Southwest Ohio’s largest non-profit law firm dedicated to reducing poverty and ensuring family stability through effective legal assistance. Our attorneys represent clients in civil legal matters and work with community organizations and client groups.
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati coordinates employment and volunteer opportunities for both Legal Aid organizations. Legal Aid offers a variety of career opportunities in entry-level and experienced positions. We employ recent law graduates and experienced lawyers, as well as client service professionals (paralegals and legal assistants), administrative, accounting, and clerical support professionals. When openings do occur, they are posted on this website.
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati
and the Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC
are Equal Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate
because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Health Advocate/Project Coordinator, Full-Time
Position Open Until Filled.
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati seeks a full-time (40 hours/week) Health Advocate, based in our downtown Cincinnati office.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in development and implementation of the Maternal Health Law Partnership (M-HeLP), a cutting edge medical-legal partnership involving Good Samaritan Hospital/TriHealth, and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital. M-HeLP brings together maternal healthcare providers, pediatricians, and legal advocates to identify social determinants of health and increase patient stability and engagement in prenatal care by referring them for legal advocacy in order to reduce preterm births and improve newborn health. This position also includes joining Legal Aid’s Child HeLP team. Child HeLP is our award-winning medical-legal partnership with Cincinnati Children’s Hospital.
The responsibilities for this position include:
- Communicating, coordinating and problem solving with Legal Aid and hospital staff to support effective assessment and referral process.
- Working closely with Legal Aid advocates to support referrals, convey case outcomes to referring health provider, and promote communication between partners.
- Participating in and providing support for training program, project management, and related staff meetings.
- Tracking, analyzing, managing and presenting data.
- Offsite responsibilities at Cincinnati Children’s, Good Samaritan, and Bethesda North hospitals.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, social sciences, public health, or a related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Presentation experience a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to juggle and coordinate daily and big picture tasks and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently and work in teams.
- Demonstrated ability to engage proactively in innovative, diplomatic, and flexible problem-solving.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience working in a law office or health care setting is a plus.
- Reliable transportation.
- Able to work flexible hours between 8:00 AM – 6:00 PM.
Compensation and Benefits
The Legal Aid Society offers an excellent benefits package. Starting annual salary is $35,000+, depending upon experience.
To apply, email all listed items to email@example.com.
- Cover letter, explaining the reasons for your interest in this position,
- Resume, and
- Contact information for two professional references. (No reference letters, please.)
Note: the subject line should reference: “Health Advocate/Project Coordinator Hiring Committee.”
Legal Aid Society
This position is open until filled. Interviews will be arranged by Employer.
Please do not call.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = == = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Equal Justice Works / AmeriCorps VISTA Attorney Fellowship
– HUD Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) Housing Program –
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati seeks an energetic and talented recent law graduate for an Equal Justice Works (EJW) / AmeriCorps VISTA Attorney Fellowship. The Attorney Fellow will assist tenants and tenant groups in the new U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) Rental Assistance Demonstration (RAD) housing program to preserve and improve their affordable housing communities. The Attorney Fellow will help build the capacity of tenant organizations through outreach, education, leadership development, and legal services. The Fellowship is from August 2016 through July 2017.
The RAD program was developed as a voluntary preservation tool to stabilize at-risk public housing. The primary benefit of RAD is that public housing which converts under this program can secure private financing to address deferred maintenance issues that have caused public housing and other HUD rental stock to deteriorate nationwide. The Attorney Fellow will assist residents so that they benefit from RAD conversion and avoid displacement.
The RAD Attorney Fellow will:
- Provide legal representation to tenants groups and tenants in RAD housing.
- Assist in advocacy for increased resources for community improvements, such as job training and placement, daycare centers, playgrounds, community centers, recreational facilities, etc.
- Conduct community legal education and outreach to tenants.
- Participate in continuing legal education and other training events for pro bono attorneys who volunteer to represent tenants.
- Work with agencies and community groups that share common interest with tenants
The RAD Attorney Fellow will have the following qualifications:
- Member of the Ohio Bar, or admitted in another state and eligible for admission on motion.
- Experience assisting low-income individuals.
- Excellent research, writing, and advocacy skills.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively in a team environment.
- Ability to participate in public outreach events and experience in public speaking.
- Strong track record of professionalism and responsibility
FUNDING AND COMPENSATION
This position is funded by Equal Justice Works, VISTA, and the Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati. The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati is the service site. This position requires completion of NSOPR, state(s), and FBI fingerprint criminal background checks, as well as compliance with all CNCS Federal Regulations throughout the fellowship program.
Compensation for this position is Equal Justice Works / AmeriCorps guidelines and includes:
- Living allowance set by EJW/VISTA.
- Supplemental benefits paid for housing, relocation, professional dues, health, life & disability insurance, and retirement plan expenses.
- Upon successful completion of service, AmeriCorps Legal Education Award of up to $5,775.
- Student loan forbearance during service.
- AmeriCorps funded childcare assistance.
- Professional development and training assistance.
- Participation in Equal Justice Works training opportunities and conferences, as applicable.
This position is open until filled. Legal Aid will act on applications on a rolling basis.
To apply, email to staffing@lascinti,org, the following items:
- a letter of intent,
- legal writing sample,
- law school transcript, and
- contact information for three professional references
Include in subject line: Attention: 2016 EJW/AmeriCorps RAD Fellow Hiring Committee
Interviews will be arranged by Employer. Please do not call.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =