The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati and its affiliate, Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC, are dedicated to reducing poverty and ensuring family stability through effective legal assistance. Both Legal Aid organizations serve low-income residents of Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, Highland, and Warren Counties in Southwest Ohio.Staffed offices are located in downtown Cincinnati and in Hamilton (Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC only).
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati coordinates employment and volunteer opportunities for both Legal Aid organizations. Legal Aid offers a variety of career opportunities in entry-level and experienced positions. They employ recent law graduates and experienced lawyers, as well as client service professionals (paralegals and legal assistants), administrative, accounting, and clerical support professionals. When openings do occur, they are posted on this website.
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati and the Legal Aid Society of Southwest Ohio, LLC
are Equal Opportunity Employers and do not discriminate because of age, race, sex, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Legal Intern, Volunteer Lawyers Project
The Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati seeks a Legal Intern for a one-year placement for its Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP). Legal Aid serves Brown, Butler, Clermont, Clinton, Hamilton, Highland, and Warren Counties in Southwest Ohio. We have two offices (downtown Cincinnati and Hamilton, Ohio) and a staff of about 90, including 34 attorneys and 15 paralegals. Our attorneys represent individual clients in civil legal matters and work with community organizations and client groups.
The Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is a joint project of the Legal Aid Society and seven County Bar Associations in Southwest Ohio. The VLP recruits, trains, and matches Volunteer Lawyers with Legal Aid clients, who the lawyers then represent on a pro bono basis.
The ideal candidate will be a recent college graduate who is interested in exploring legal and related social work fields before embarking on a career or further education. The VLP Legal Intern has a variety of duties, including (but not limited to):
- Intake/screening of potential clients; matching clients with Volunteer Attorneys.
- Writing referrals for Managing Attorney review.
- Assisting with research, scheduling clients, conducting interviews.
- Opening and distributing daily mail.
- Entering information into case management system and other recordkeeping systems, and ensuring accuracy of information maintained.
- Preparing case files to be closed and closing them on case management system.
- Processing Client Satisfaction Surveys on a monthly basis.
- Miscellaneous project work, as assigned by VLP Managing Attorney/Pro Bono Coordinator
- Assisting Managing Attorney on Wills Clinic project, including locating and scheduling sites, communicating with site managers, responsibility for site readiness, creation and dissemination of Clinic flyers for client recruitment; maintaining client files, communication with student volunteers, uploading completed documents to Clinic computers, attending Clinic sessions to provide assistance.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Ability to work an average of 32 hours per week, including occasional Saturdays or weekday evenings
- Reliable transportation
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Possess basic computer skills—Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
Salary and Benefits
This is a one year position, beginning between June 1-15, 2014. The rate of pay is $10.10/hour, not to exceed $19,000.00 for the year. Medical and dental insurance available.
Using the email address OR FAX number listed below, please send (1) a cover letter explaining the reasons for interest in this position, (2) a resume, and (3) the contact information for three work references. NOTE: applications will not be considered complete unless all items are submitted.
Please include “VLP Legal Intern” Hiring Committee” in the subject line. Also, for email submissions, please attach Word or pdf files only.
Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati
Attention: VLP Legal Intern Hiring Committee
(513) 241-0047 FAX or email@example.com
Position open until filled.
Interviews will be arranged by Employer.
Please do not call.